Izannah workshop opened up this past Monday. I sign in to the Ning forum and gather up my packet of goodies. I downloaded all the information and the pattern. I printed it all out and briefly looked it over. I then thought to myself, “good thing we have 3 months to make this doll”! At first glance, it looked a bit overwhelming.
As always, I dive right in! This has always been a bad habit of mine. I tend not to read through materials very thoroughly. I suppose it is because I am not a real detail oriented person and just like to ‘wing it’ most of the times. I glance at pictures and think I know what I am doing. LOL. sometimes it works, and sometime it doesn’t. But this time it worked out fine.
I am someone that usually struggles with soft cloth doll patterns. Those fingers, and turning arms and legs .. yikes…and all that nonsense usually has me in tears with blow outs and frayed fabric. However, this one went very very smooth! I decided to do the paint over-dye method for the fabric (recommended by Gail Wilson). This way the fabric is stabilized and offers better cutting and sewing. I am happy with this extra step that I did and think this is why I did not have blow outs and fraying. Monday and Tuesday I spent cutting the pattern and sewing.
Here is her lovely torso and head sewn up.
I am sculpting the head with paper clay so she is drying after I have gessoed the head. Late Wednesday I began sculpting her face, so will show those pictures tomorrow along with her other body parts which have been completed.
Today I am working on the sculpting of her face/head. I am much further along then I thought I would be and so far things are going very smoothly! She is going to be a treasured doll!